Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Answer? About 20 Days

On April 3rd, I asked How Long Until This Gets Shut The Fuck Down about HTML Comics, a site making whole comics available for viewing in your web browser for free.

Then Rich Johnston covered it several days later.

Of course, Lucas Siegel covered it over a year before either of us.

But, according to a press release, it was only shut down on April 22.

I know a lot of you out there are pro-torrents and other illegal methods of reading comics free on the 'net and just think those of us who get outraged at this stuff are just tools of our corporate masters, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. But as much as the profits lost for the corporations are the bigger numbers, the complete denial of possible royalties to the creators would be the more important factor involved. I know it is why this stuff bothers me, personally, when I see it happen in such ridiculous fashion.

Johanna Draper Carlson's angle seems to suggest that the publishers targeting such sites is a pathetic alternative to coming out with their own competing offering. Seems off the mark to me. If I were a publisher, I'd want to try to clear as much of the illegal competition out before ramping up my version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.