Sunday, February 10, 2008

Brand New Day? Totally Whelming.

Over at the ComicBookBin.com, Geoff Hope had the following to say about Marc Guggenheim's first issue in the BRAND NEW DAY event:

It’s not that Amazing Spider-Man #549 is bad…it’s just completely unimpressive. There are several exciting things-- a last-minute rescue, a foiled mugging, an escape from a subway train-- but Guggenheim and Larroca somehow make these adventures as provocative as an unfurnished room.


Ironically, I think that is probably the worst review a writer can get. Though I'm refusing to buy BND for several reasons (including some issues with the writer outside of comic books), I was a bit hopeful for Guggenheim that he'd capture something special here. But I know of no writer that wouldn't prefer a passionate response, good or bad, to their work rather than suggesting it merely exists.

In fairness, I've always said that it is hard to judge single issues these days. A ho-hum issue can be redeemed by how it ties into the rest of an arc. That might very well wind up the case here.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't hated it. It does remind me of older late 70s/early 80s Spider-Man. It's very much like the beginning of Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man.

    I was so dismayed by the horrible ONE MORE DAY that I came close myself to refusing to read the new stuff. I really dislike Joey Q and his lousy thoughts.

    However, I LOVE Spider-Man. I kept reading over the years when other writers/editors were also doing a lousy job on him.

    In the end... I'm a bad kind of fan. I do not have the ability to boycot a title that I normally want to read. It also doesn't help that my oldest son reads Spider-Man also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, who can fault you for not wanting to deprive your son of ASM? I mean...it isn't as if buying the book is supporting some social injustice (like avoiding companies that had ties to South Africa back in the day).

    I'm just tired of buying crap product lately. While BND could wind up very good, buying it will lead Marvel to think that crap like OMD was great.

    ReplyDelete

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.