Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hart D. Fisher Talks To Schwapp!!!

Imagine my surprise when an e-mail popped up in the bin over at the Schwapp Online mailbox and it happened to be from the infamous Mr. Hart D. Fisher.

He was, apparently, pleased and impressed with my taking the time to try to look at what one of the things influencing him during this time may be: his wife's ongoing recovery from cancer.

Cervical cancer and Ovarian cancer nearly killed my wife. She's lucky to be a live. Her cancer is rare and vile. She has a 50/50 shot of it coming back in the next 4 years, so yes, for me, the clock is ticking.

You should sit down and think- what would happen to you if you applied for a job, they checked your resume and found something on your resume that didn't check out (not your fault, the fault of someone else) and then you find you didn't get the job because the company pegged you as a liar because this fact on your resume didn't check out.

Then you start thinking about how lies like this could effect a person in my shoes in other ways.

Glad you actually took the time to think about this thing beyond the initial kneejerk reaction.

HDF
So, it appears that the emotional and financial tolls of such a catastrophic illness as cancer and the life changing impact of a resulting hysterectomy do have a place in the process. But there, also, appears to be an added dynamic at play here: the implication that Gerard Way's prior lack of acknowledging his Boneyard Press work has led to people calling Mr. Fisher a liar. Thus far, I haven't seen that mentioned in any other coverage, leading me to assume this is something that will come out as he shares the rest of the story that he's been promising in other statements.

In discussing this with Mr. Fisher, he is quick to want to avoid his wife's condition becoming any kind of focus of the discussion (though he did give me permission share all that we discussed via e-mail):
My motivation is a letter I got from a fan, her friends were giving her shit about On Raven's Wings. Go back and read what I said on my journal about this. My story does not change. And things are only going to get uglier as this thing plays out. This story has barely broke, wait until people simmer down and actually take a look at this situation and the real world ramifications of what these folks did.

Am I struggling to take care of my wife? Yes I am. It's very hard. I am her sole care giver and that's a heavy load. Go read my blog, read about how my brother turned on me during my wife's chemo/radiation treatments, how he started a competing editing business, how he went after my customers and gave them credit terms and cheaper rates to take them away from our company while we were fighting for Waka's life. It's a shit world.

The more you know about me, the more you'll see there's a different story than the one you're reading now. If you want to write about what I've told you, yeah, Go ahead and write about it. Here's a good place to start if you want to know my real story.

Thank you for taking the time to think. I appreciate it. Best of luck to your mother and her struggle. (editor's note: I shared with Mr. Fisher that my mother, also, had cervical cancer in the past)

HDF
As I spent time suggesting to Mr. Fisher that, if more people knew about what he and his wife are going through right now, it might soften their view of him and better allow them to digest what he's saying without bias. As it stands now, right or wrong in his position, I don't think that many people are going to give much effort in trying to give him a fair shake. Deserved or not, it seems that most people are more inclined to dogpile on him without reading through much of the story.

The following are two separate responses where he made it clear that he's not willing to personally draw attention to his wife's medical woes, regardless of whether it might increase the number of readers that give his argument a chance:
You can talk about it. At this point, I can't. I won't put Waka out there like that. My reputation is already shit. I'm only worried about my real life and my wife's life. This whole thing is one big shit sandwich for me. But you have to fight for your work, otherwise everyone will take everything you have until you're gone, nothing but gone...

HDF
and
You can quote what I wrote you. You can talk about our interchange here. But I'm not going to issue a big press release about my wife's cancer. All of my information is public. It's right there. Just like the optimum wound interviews. They're public knowledge.

For me, I have to be careful how I deal with this battle. I have been advised to not go ballastic, and there is more to this story to come out.

So by all means, you can attribute everything I've written you as a quote. I talked to you because what you wrote took some thought. I won't deal with the witless and get dragged into the mud.

But now, I'm hanging out with my wife and we're laughing about this. Laughing is good.

HDF
I don't pretend to know what the truth of this whole issue is. All I do know is that I refuse, at this time, to demonize anyone involved in the clash. Hart D. Fisher may be a controversial figure, but I'm more concerned with wishing him and his wife all the best during their trying times than trying to blast him for a story I don't know all the elements of.

1 comment:

  1. The dogpilers should consider this: When Hart was the only guy in the whole industry touting Gerard Way's work and lugging cases of On Raven's Wings around,
    nobody complained about it. When he printed up catalogs and hyped the book, nobody said Boo. When we went on tour and he extolled the virtues of this book
    he had published by this teenage kid, nobody made durogotory comments about how hard he worked to sell this title. Now, he's asking why there is a conspicuous
    lack of anybody mentioning Way's first published work, unlike that of Fiona Apple and the lead singer of Silverchair, whose youthful efforts were big news,
    and suddenly he's reviled for asking? Everybody whining that he's only out to make a buck now, think about the ten plus years he put in lugging that title
    around, listing it on his site and telling comic shop owners that it was worth carrying. When Hart busted his ass and Gary was nobody, who cared enough
    to rip him on a blog or on Newsarama or on his Live Journal page about how hard he tried to make that book, and that teenager, successful. Now he asks
    why Gary's return to comics isn't mentioned by anybody involved and suddenly he's a bastard? What changed from the day before My Chemical Romance released
    its first album, and the day they hit the charts that changes perceptions about Hart Fisher? He promoted that title when the kid was unknown, he asks why,
    now that the kid has made good, (as Hart told people he would), this particular project has gone ignored? If you take an intellectually honest look, people
    are now jumping on Hart for the same thing nobody gave a damn about before Gary Way got a record deal. Seems to me Hart's done nothing different than he
    did before, only now that the press and fans have caught up to what Hart was saying when Way was 16, he's being vilified for pointing it out.
    --Joe Monks
    Chanting Monks Press
    Sight Unseen Pictures

    ReplyDelete

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.