Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fourthman Reviews: Loaded Bible #3: Communion


By Lee Newman

Loaded Bible 3: Communion
Published by Image Comics

Written by Tim Seeley

Pencils by Mike Norton & Christopher Johnson

Seeley brings the first act to close with all the pomp and circumstance of a Star Wars movie. In fact, the last page is greatly reminiscent of Attack of the Clones. As far as a solid action saga, it is as exciting as Star Wars, but the religious aspect of this book seems to grow with each issue. It is interesting to me that a self-proclaimed non-religious person gets the feeling of the “character” of Christ down perfect. Here we have an anti-establishment rebel, consorting with the “enemy” and being hunted by the stalwart leaders of the current incarnation of the Church. There is also a parallel in the Lilith thread this time, which bodes well for Book 2.

Most interesting to this reader is the interaction between Jesus and Sistine in this chapter. It would seem that this Vampire has taken the role of Magdalene. It will be interesting to see how the events of this book play down the line. Seeley has managed to create a world that is very rich. So much so, that now on top of the other two “Books” of Loaded Bible, I would, also, like to see a prequel story about the Vampire Wars. Wow, I sound like I did for years about Star Wars. I guess that’s cool, because this book is generating the same kind of awed fanboy response from me at this point.

Norton’s pencils are much removed from the last issue. They are not as drop dead gorgeous as they were in Norton’s last issue of The All New Atom, but they are significantly advanced from the pencils in Loaded Bible 2. The real neat trick here is that Johnson’s pencils are not intrusive. I would be very hard pressed to tell you where one artist stops and the other begins. I have my suspicions about a couple of panels and one page in general, but I can’t really tell. It is very much the best looking of the three so far.

Loaded Bible 3: Communion does its job amazingly well… it leaves me wanting more right now. Hey, Tim, if you want me to buy the trade, convince Image to do a nice hardcover!

"Ultimate Comics, we have more comics then your shop has!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.