Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kevin Huxford Is A Big Fat Snitch

I've been reading responses to my reporting Marc Guggenheim to the WGA and publicizing Dan Slott's private e-mails asking me to call him so he could tell me how I got my review of his Brand New Day work so wrong. I've had a fair share of supporters, but I've clearly had more detractors.

They're bringing their frustration (some eloquent, some idiotic, some ignorant) to Newsarama, Shotgun Reviews, YouTube, and even here.

Being that I'd at least like for my actions to not be a headache for Matt Brady or Troy Brownfield, I'd like to create a place for you to bash me to your heart's content where it really should be: DIRECTLY SAID TO ME, WHERE I'M AVAILABLE TO BE BASHED AND RESPOND, WITHOUT IT IMPACTING INNOCENTS.

You can come with the ridiculous commentary, like Kirk Warren who compared my reporting Marc Guggenheim to a student accusing a college professor of rape (and other extreme and inappropriate examples), as it could ruin their career, regardless of the veracity of the accusation.

Problem is: I reported Marg Guggenheim's public support for Joe Quesada's appearance on The Colbert Show and declaration that it is OK to watch a strike show as long as you don't DVR it or have a Nielsen box. There is no question as to whether he did it or not. There was only question whether it was wrong of him, as a WGA member, to publicly state such an opinion. He claimed that it wasn't and that my stance on the whole issue was merely because I wasn't aware of all the nuances of the issue. I merely directed the issue to people who WOULD be aware of the nuances: WGA leadership.

Call me a snitch. That's fine. Accuse me of trying to hurt someone's career maliciously? Suggest I'm libeling or slandering someone? You're way off on the facts. I never made anything up. At one point, I misinterpreted Marc's statement as being that he went so far as to give Joe the thumbs up BEFORE his Colbert appearance. I acknowledged that mistake and it was NOT part of anything stated to the WGA.

I'll be your snitch. In societies with a rule of law, there is a fine line between public service and snitching. Same goes for organizations, especially those centered around the ability of all to come together in unity so that they may collectively bargain as one. I'm pretty sure most of you calling me a snitch here have never had to worry about some weak link in your group's chain fucking things up for you.

It happens in union and non-union work. I've had co-workers nearly lose a contract I was working on, because they didn't care what they said in the presence of the client. Whether publicly proclaiming that he'd be able to do his job better if he actually knew what he was doing and got some training to unprofessionally insulting another contractor present on a conference call, my ability to be gainfully employed was out of my hands to some extent. The same can be said for a WGA member (and, let's not forget, PRODUCER with a possible conflict of interests) who tells the public that it is OK for you to keep watching struck shows or become a part of struck shows.

Let's not forget that Guggenheim and I were having a fairly productive discussion until another party showed up. I had actually missed Guggenheim dismissing my opinion out of hand at the end due to my not being in a Hollywood union until Slott had to chime in during his chasing me around (more on that in a separate blog).

After my post pointing out Slott's questionable actions of late (like e-mailing me repeatedly to have a phone conversation about my "wrong" review of his work), I was bowing out. There was nothing to be gained. I had received e-mails from friends that confirmed the wisdom of my decision to bow out, but they were after the fact.

Then, it would appear, someone decided to bring the attention of others into the mix. They did this quietly, while scurrying through the shadows. How could they publicly admit to doing so when they'd lose any mistaken shred of moral superiority on the issue? Forget that the act was pretty much transparent, despite their lack of owning up to it. Forget that an astute observer can pretty much tell who went crying to daddy when they felt I crossed the line. They didn't go to an organization I was a part of, either.

I'm not saying it was Guggenheim. I know it wasn't me. Hmmmmm.

I found it hilarious (and tacky) that the next interview that ran with Guggenheim at the 'Rama was done via a phone call while he was on the picket line. Screamed of damage control to me, but then the interview might have already been conducted before his error in judgment where he supported Quesada's appearance on The Colbert Show. With a week between his gaffe and his picket line interview, pardon me for being suspicious.

19 comments:

  1. Oh Kevin... you aren't fat.

    Heh... heh heh.

    Hee Hee Hee...

    BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    Ok... sorry... I shouldn't make light of this...

    Does this mean you won't be getting on TV any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure that wasn't in the cards, regardless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GET OVER YOURSELF YOU FUCKING EGOMAINIACAL LUNATIC. Only Me and this rocketeerz person are reading your delusional ramblings.

    YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT TO COMICS. NOBODY GIVES A SHIT what you think about unions or comics. PS I have taken over the banhammer thread and it is awesome.

    Love, Duckula

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a jackass khuxford. Slott probably was saying you were wrong because of facts you got wrong not your opinion. And Guggenheim must be a saint to take your shit for so long without calling you out like he should have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how Duckula only comes out when anonymous posting is allowed. I allowed anonymous posting again just to see if it would coax him out. It did and then some.

    Call me what you want. I'm not even going to delete the anonymous insults that are there now. But you'll have to put a name of some sort to your words from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re not a snitch. Guggenheim is a member of a union that among other things, asks other members and the public at large to report members that appear to be engaging in activity contrary to the stated goals of the union. A union is only as strong as the unity of its members. Clearly, a WGA member saying that it’s OK to cross a WGA picket line or that it is OK to watch a strike show is absurd.

    And walking a picket line doesn’t make up for that, especially when you are going to be photographed or filmed and then made out to be a hero. It’s not like someone walking a WGA picket line ever had to worry about being pelted with rocks or getting whacked upside the head with a baseball bat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should harass more comic book writers to honor the memory of your father. Also you should start an "insignificant blogger" union.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look khux, it was an ugly situation all around, but you're dragging this out unnecessarily.

    Get over it, get over YOURSELF, and just move on already. What's done is done. The strike is over, and order is restored.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and I'm sure Guggenheim's PR. machine went into over drive handling all the heat over your union wanna be ass. LOL you are a megalomaniac. Go stutter and review more comics in your own self deluted fantasy world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guys, this guy was a member of the GROCERY BAGGER UNION. Remember that when you have your Saturdays off from work. The man deserves your respect!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kevin, you must be doing something right, otherwise you wouldn't have so many anonymous sock puppets calling you names.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Rick. I appreciate that.

    Spidertour2 is at least not anonymous. The other two apparently just created their blogger accounts to take shots at me.

    Dragging it out unnecessarily? This is the first opportunity I've truly had to unload on it. And I created this blog with the intention of it saving other places from becoming bitch-fests about me. How many threads about me have been pulled down from the 'Rama? I don't even know...I hear about them after the fact from friends via AOL IM.

    Grocery Baggers Union? Actually, the porters don't have a union, last I checked. The union was just for much of the rest of the store (though I think stockboys weren't covered). But the point wasn't that I was doing a serious job, only that I was a member of a union during a strike.

    And, T00lverine, it is spelled "deluded", not "deluted". Call me what you want, but get the spelling right. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to be popular khux.

    And I was "anonymous" in one of the other posts. What I was trying to say was that Slott probably found errors in the facts of your review, not in your opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, Frag, my compliments to you for finally putting your name to your words. You do realize there was an option of giving your name without logging in before, right? :)

    Tell you what; why don't you tell me what I got factually inaccurate?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N9bI2obwNI

    I started to say something about the web shooters being able to look like a watch, but then modified it, to some extent. I said that I felt Mr. Negative's identity was very obvious (and was right). Everything else is pretty much opinion. Heck, even the web shooter thing is opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No I didn't. I should have done what Duckula did by putting my name on it.

    I don't know what's inaccurate. I haven't read the issues. I know Dan Slott did and maybe you should have given him the benefit of the doubt.

    But of course, you prefer to fight that discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So...you wade into the discussion from a position of ignorance? Good of you to admit it. :)

    Frag, you really should be posting this stuff on the Slott blog...where it points out how I tried to have a private discussion with him via e-mail and he insisted on a phone call where I'd have no way to protect myself if he made allegations about me later. He was clearly going after naysayers, generally, and Newsarama-related ones, specifically. All I asked is that he tell me what I got wrong in e-mail or allow me to record the call for my protection (and possible posting on Shotgun Reviews).

    He said he didn't have the time for an e-mail conversation (but he did have the time to stalk bloggers so he could keep criticizing their every move) and wouldn't be able to consent to the conversation being posted because he might reveal secrets about the upcoming Spider-Man stories. When I told him that I'm not in the know about secrets and he could leave those out, he had no further response to me on the issue. With no excuse available for an undocumented conversation, he just...disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kevin, is there a way to subscribe to your video reviews through iTunes?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not yet, Rick. But I'm working on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kevin, I have a lot of respect for what you did. You took the hard road and stood up for what you believe in. Even better, you didn't back down when other (less scrupulous?) people tried to get you to cave. It's refreshing to see someone walk the walk instead of just talking - or typing - the talk.

    ReplyDelete

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.