Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Happy Birthday...and Hello To My New Blog

Below is my Shotgun Reviews goodbye, copied in full. I'll be hosting my vlogs here and will probably let myself be even more opinionated now that no one can possibly be caught in the crossfire.

By the time any of you read this, it will be February 5th. My 33rd birthday and a bittersweet one. Why?

Because I am taking a sabbatical from Shotgun Reviews and have asked that my account at Newsarama.com be closed (which was honored by the site administrator).

Why did I resign? I'd like to think it is because I have principles, while others would probably suggest I just have a big mouth and don't know when to shut it.

I had what amounted to a largely civil discussion with a writer about the WGA strike. During that discussion, another writer (one who I've been getting continued requests to call because he wants to tell me how I was wrong in my review of his work) appeared and kind of lowered the level of discourse, in my opinion. It agitated me to the point that I took things up a notch and reported the WGA writer for what I believed to be actions detrimental to the ongoing writers' strike.

This upset more than a few people. I mean REALLY upset people.

I was accused of trying to damage someone's career. I'd submit that, if my report led to any damage of a career, it was the ACTIONS that I was reporting that would be to blame for any damage. It would be like suggesting calling in a crime tip damaged the criminal's life, instead of, you know, the crime they committed.

So, I am not apologetic for reporting it. Given the people that got upset about the whole event, it would appear that I should have just followed the example of at least one of those writers and just reported it without publicly admitting to it. Because, you know, some very important people got upset. Unfortunately, that carried over to people who weren't responsible for my actions and people my actions weren't meant to represent at all.

I don't work for Newsarama. I haven't for awhile, actually. My reviews appear here on Shotgun, not on Newsarama. Troy advertises them in the column each week, but he advertises other things that aren't affiliated with Newsarama, too. Perception is the problem, though. People still perceive me to work for Newsarama. My interview of Raven Gregory, turned in as a favor and initially meant to run months ago, didn't help that perception.

So, rather than let my principles hurt anyone I considered to be a friend, I told Matt Brady that I'd be happy to take some time off so that maybe there could be a change in perception...a realization that I don't actually work for Newsarama anymore. I felt, in fact, that it was a principled thing to do. Matt begrudgingly accepted this offer.

It has been mentioned to me that my speaking my mind across the internet while a member of Shotgun might reflect poorly on the team. Let me be clear: this is not Troy Brownfield's opinion. I have nothing but love for Troy and Matt. They are class acts and I still like to consider them friends. But I don't want my principles to hurt anyone else and I'm not willing to just stifle my thoughts and opinions, either. Again, neither Matt Brady or Troy Brownfield have actually asked me to keep my mouth shut. I fear, however, that others will continue to hold my actions against both of them if I continue to speak my mind while being affiliated in any way with their fine sites.

Again, having principles means taking a stand for what you believe in. It doesn't mean forcing others to suffer for those stances, though.

I'll be honoring my commitment to the debate with Steve Ekstrom over Marvel's track record of outright lying to their readers. After that...who knows? I've enjoyed my time here, but, if I had to guess, I'd say the sabbatical won't be ended anytime soon.

Thank you all for being such great people to work with. Thank you to the readers who checked out my blogs and sometimes commented on them. Good luck to you all...and God bless.

PS - I'll probably continue doing vlogs. I'm scared to see how few views I'll actually get, but you can find them at http://www.youtube.com/khuxford if you'd like. Just in case you have insomnia and need a non-addicting sleep aid. Works well, from what I hear.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Rough stuff Bro. Sorry to hear that things ran the way they did. Sticking to your guns may not be the universal best thing in some people's opinions, but in the end you have your integrity, which I happen to think is pretty damn immportant.

    You'll bounce back. You always do. I'll be reading you on a regular basis so you know you have at least ONE regualr reader :)

    Now... GROW SOME HAIR... will ya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...the hair thing isn't completely my call. I refuse to grow the sides out until and act of God reverses the balding at the top. :)

    Thanks for the kind words, Rocky...I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nobody thinks you work for Newsarama, and nobody thinks you could actually sink somebodys career. get over yourself, egomaniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one with a brain in their head felt that what I did was an attempt to sink somebody's career. As far as people believing I was working for Newsarama? You're just not informed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is duckula Dan Slott?

    Good luck with the new site, and I'll miss Shooting Out with you!

    Jamie Trecker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Duckula, you can have your own opinion, and that's cool and stuff, but dude...I KNOW Kevin and *I* thought he worked for Newsarama until he set me straight.

    And a few people from online who talk comics with me thought so too, so yeah... people thought he did.

    You're entitled to your opinion on things, I respect that... but so far you haven't really done a good job doing anything but being insulting. Not exactly a hard (or intelligent) thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.