Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dan, You Incorrigable Slott!

Danny Danny Danny...I've so wanted to share some of the irrational, contradictory garbage from our most recent e-mails...the ones that you decided to get me banned from the Bendis Boards because of. But it wouldn't be right to quote you from a personal, private e-mail. Then I saw that you started doing just that on your forum.

So...without further ado...from our latest e-mail conversation. You were vehemently denying that you could be BBraddock or have any knowledge about who BBraddock was...and insisted that there was proof:

"And Dan? I'm sure you know that IP addresses can be different while
coming from the same person and same location."

One: I'm not a computer genius. I have no idea how to fake an IP address. What I do know is that I only have this computer and an old laptop. If you want, I'll plug that in and make a post so you can see that IP number too.
Two: I do know that you can see what basic areas of the country that an IP number comes from using sites like this:
http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation
So get my IP number and "Betsy Braddock's" IP number from your friends at Newsarama. And check it out. It'll prove you are LYING.
My response:

I find it suspicious that you claim to be a computer idiot, but can whip out a method for determining where an IP comes from. Spare me the whole "someone else gave me that site before", because someone else could have, also, given you a way to cover your IP address, Dan. The facts (as circumstantial as they are) point to that name being you or a sock puppet. Four actions on Newsarama...no actions anywhere else on the 'net I can find...all timed to have occurred exactly when you were on your rampage against the site and turning up only in spots that you either were or would have an interest in. And it is funny how you're so certain that the IP address of BBraddock will track back to a different part of the world, Dan. I know it is a rather big world, but for you to KNOW that this "evidence" exists that proves your posts and the mystery posts don't come from the same place...you're betraying yourself there.


And his retort (which I didn't bother to read until today, because there was a point where even I had to acknowledge nothing was coming from corresponding with Dan):

Because I know how to use Google, jackass.
Go to GOOGLE.
Type in these words: IP address locate
Guess what's the FIRST link that shows up? Wow. Look at me, I'm a computer genius. After faking an IP address to go after Kevin Huxford for being petty & vindictive, for my next trick, I'm going to hack into the Pentagon. Just ONCE can you admit that you could be wrong FIRST, before you're PROVEN wrong? Isn't that BETTER than coming back later and saying you were "MISTAKEN"-- and then hurling more accusations as a smokescreen? What is wrong with you?

You know what else Google can give you? Quick steps on how to hide your IP address. Or fake IP address.

There was something else that came up in our correspondence. I had imagined your reason for stating the following was about behind the scenes stuff in BRAND NEW DAY:

And, no, I'm not really interested in doing an "audio interview" for your site-- and it's not that I don't want to give you the hits-- it's two things:
1) I'd like to talk like regular people.
2) There's stuff that I know-- and maybe you know-- stuff that behind-the-scenes guys like you and I can't talk about when it's for public consumption. And, no, it's not anything rude or uncivil, just industry things. Talking to you in private, it should be pretty easy to gage if you're in on some of those aspects. If you're not, then I have to scale back what I can talk to you about. And that's something that can't (or rather shouldn't) be done "on the air."

Dan's response when I asked him what the behind the scenes stuff was supposed to be?
Oh... I don't know... Considering it was on a NEWSARAMA blog where a NEWSARAMA blogger had recently purposely taken a Marvel editor's quotes out of context to get some hits, and followed that up with another NEWSARAMA blog entry where they were linking to a factually inaccurate and EASILY disprovable theory about a Marvel book, and THEN someone who NEWSARAMA subcontracts came to their defense-- after that person (who was subcontracted by NEWSARAMA) put up a factually inaccurate review about a Marvel book. And all of that after NEWSARAMA had been running a long run of Marvel-bashing articles in their news section for weeks on end...

I wonder...

Maybe it was BEHIND THE SCENES stuff about NEWSARAMA? You think?

For once just admit that there's stuff going on that you DON'T know about. And that you MIGHT be wrong about a whole bunch of things.

So...you know...forgive me if I don't trust him all of a sudden using Matt Brady as a defense (as he attempted to do earlier today; quoted in a blog elswhere at Schwapp!!!). Seeing as how Dan Slott likes to think he knows more about what is going on at Newsarama than even Matt Brady. He seems to change his opinion of Matt as the wind blows and has a penchant for exaggerating (Marvel-bashing articles in their news section for weeks on end? Riiiiiiiiiiight).

By the way...Dan still has never actually pointed out any of the factual inaccuracies of my review, other than the web shooter one that I had already corrected in the comments section of my vlog. Which is what started this...because he got his feelings hurt. And he thinks that's why I reported Guggenheim...because "I got my feelings hurt". Seems to be a classic case of projection.

Edit: Oh yeah...if this doesn't start to drive home the point of who's the nutty one in this exchange?

From my delusional blogger at 3:30pm:
"But really, Dan…this will be the last I respond to you."

But then almost 4 hours later, he takes, my last response, move it to his blog, and... responds with (according to my Microsoft Word's word count feature) 1,009 words, 4,480 characters (no spaces), 5,531 characters (with spaces), 26 paragraphs, 113 lines, oh... and he included pictures.

(I can't blame him. I've showed just as much restraint. And, in the end, I'm supposed to be a pro-- and he's supposed to be a fan. So... in this case, I'm supposed to let it go. And he's supposed to be a fan.)

BTW, don't ask me what his response was about. Got two delusional sentences into it and it was already off the map.

So...

I've gotten calls and e-mails from a number of industry guys saying-- "We know his a ****, you know he's a ****, anyone with half a brain knows he's a ****. Stop feeding him and he'll go away." (Well, they didn't all say that verbatim, but when I use the **** as a form of Mad-Lib, I get pretty close).

I GET IT! They're right. I should follow their advice. I should follow my OWN advice. He's a nut. He'll eventually go away. And, yes, all I'm doing is feeding him.
Counting the words, characters (with and without spaces), paragraphs, and lines? OK...I'm not kidding anymore...Dan Slott is SCARY.

9 comments:

  1. It almost seems like he's obsessed with you. I wouldn't say scary, more frightening and stalkerish. If he just stopped...I mean is that too hard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake: Or maybe huxford can stop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah khux, your responses on this one hurt. I was expecting some good old fashioned bashing, but instead you quoting everything Dan Slott said, which was (drumroll please) 100% accurate.

    All you did by posting this was show the people who read your blog that he was right about everything. I didn't see you deny anything he said other than to imply that he is a technological wizard or something.

    Come on khux, you can do better. Where are the conspiracies I read this site for? Google searches just don't cut it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute... he got you banned from the Bendis Boards? The way he is constantly harping over you contacting the WGA concerning Marc Guggenheim's comments about it being OK to cross a picket line if you weren't a WGA member, I figured the last thing Dan Slott would ever do is report somebody for something.

    Kevin, are you sure he did that? Up until now I always just thought Dan was being a little kooky with his vendetta against you. Taking steps to get you banned from the Bendis Boards strikes me as being extremely hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, either can stop. But shouldn't Slott be the one to stop? He's the "professional" in this. He should be able to step away and for God's sake go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frag, you're entitled to your opinion. But his argument of needing to be a computer expert to do one thing but not the other would seem to be contradictory. His idea that Newsarama was going on an organized attack against Marvel is delusional.

    Rick: Slott says he was just requesting to have me blocked from his forum, even though I had already told him I'd stay out of it. For the record, all I said in his forum was that the BND numbers someone quoted were the glitchy ones and then agreed with Slott that quibbling over the numbers was silly.

    Jake: As long as Dan Slott doesn't misrepresent anything I've said or done, I'll be a pretty quiet guy regarding him. It'd be nice if he didn't give BS rumors about Newsarama to reputable columns that don't realize he's not an unbiased source. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Bendis Boards and the WGA are hardly comparable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The Bendis Boards and the WGA are hardly comparable."
    Yes, because Kevin reporting Marc resulted in ... nothing while Dan reporting Kevin resulted in him getting banned on the Bendis Boards.

    So you're right. They aren't comparable at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh...no, they aren't really comparable. But then again, I didn't make anything up about Guggenheim. I reported potential rules violations to his union. Dan Slott misrepresented my off-board actions to get me banned from that board.

    The issues are completely different. The consequences are completely different. I'm just glad that Dan Slott wasn't twisting facts about something that could have much worse consequences for me.

    ReplyDelete

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.