Thursday, March 27, 2008

WGBSG: Cheryl Lynn aka Digital Femme

God bless Cheryl.

She discusses the pluses and minuses of having a comments section. She spends a lot of time listing the reasons why she turned off comments some time ago. As someone who has followed her blog off and on for over a year, I'm aware of some of the perfectly legit reasons already.

She finishes off the post with:

I know what you're thinking. Bitch, if you don't want the full responsibility of a blog, then why have one? I've been wondering about that a lot lately. Is this site even necessary for me now that Torchbearers exists?
Personally, I don't think that at all (especially not the "bitch" part). For someone without comments, you get a surprising number of views from what I can tell. You, also, spawn conversation (with comments) elsewhere. You offer a lot to the community (and that isn't meant as a dig at anyone else). Having no comments at all doesn't give any implication of intellectual dishonesty, either (which can probably be taken as a dig at others).

I don't know if Torchbearers would be as good a place for your observational posts as your current blog. My vote is to keep up with the blogs, comments or no comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.