Friday, November 07, 2008

Where Were These When I Was A Kid?

Mattel is showing off the new DCU Classics Wave 8 figures...and some of them are really excellent.

When I was a kid, this is exactly the kind of character that I would have been writing letters to DC Comics asking them to have made (as a kid would mistakenly think they had all the power to decide). I wrote letters asking for plenty of B-Z list characters to be made. Black Lightning & Blue Devil would often top my requests. Broke my heart recently to find out that Blue Devil was set to be made in the next wave of Super Powers figures before the line got scrapped.

Ah, the unbridled joy that I would have felt the day I walked into Toys R Us and found that racked. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Now, I'm not saying I'm a huge Gentleman Ghost fan, but the intricacy of the design and giving the world a member of the Hawkman rogues gallery is something I would have dug as a child. Shoot, at that age, I would have smiled ear-to-ear to get DarkHawk (I think that's the name given to a Thanagarian military leader that became Katar's opposite number).

Not much to say about this one, other than pointing out the level of detail to the wings. Mind you, as a child, I would have probably preferred the wing-flapping feature of the Super Powers figures to the detail, if I couldn't get both.

I display the standard Dr. Fate version only to contrast with the classic below.

I don't really see how this is a classic version. I think the mid-rift area might be classic, but I don't think they were really able to pull off a gold color in the FIRST ISSUE SPECIAL: DR. FATE #1. I don't recall the earliest versions of Dr. Fate having the gold Egyptian jewelry around the neck (not the amulet, but the stuff under it). I'm, also, a bit confused as to how the helmet, neck, mid-rift and boots get gold painting, but the gloves and cape are basic yellow. Hopefully this will not be how it ships. If it is, I honestly think the standard version (which is like so many prior releases) is a more attractive buy than the mismatched classic "chase" version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.