Thursday, April 10, 2008

JOE KUBERT: MAN OF ROCK by Bill Schelly

Author Billy Schelly dropped me a line to tell me a bit about his most recent work. Those of you who know your comic book legends might remember the work he did on Otto Binder previously. His current target is one of the true greats: Joe Kubert.

“After I finished my biography of Otto Binder, I wanted to write a biography of an even bigger giant in comic book history. I’m a big fan of Joe Kubert. He’s right up there with Will Eisner, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and very few others, as far as I’m concerned.
“He’s been in the comic book industry for seventy years and his work is still in demand. The more I researched Kubert’s career, the more I realized the scope of his talent and achievements over the years. He’s much more than an amazingly talented artist. He’s also a fine writer, an innovator, and an educator.
“Work began on Man of Rock in 2004. I was able to interview Joe and his wife Muriel, as well as Adam and Andy, and a number of other Kubert colleagues and friends who have never been interviewed before with respect to their association with Joe. It was a great experience, though I hasten to add that this is my book, and my own take on Joe’s life and his work.”
Man of Rock, a Biography of Joe Kubert is 320-page trade paperback book selling for $19.95. It offers a 120,000 word manuscript by Bill Schelly, and a generous portion of photographs and artwork. It is being published by Fantagraphics Books as is being currently solicited in the April Diamond Previews.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely looking forward to this. Joe's one of the can't-miss creators, and I look forward to reading lots more books by him and about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I immediately thought of you when I posted it, Mike. This is just the sort of thing that finds its way into your pile and gets reviewed in Best Shots.

    ReplyDelete

It is preferred that you sign some sort of name to your posts, rather than remain completely anonymous. Even if it is just an internet nickname/alias, it makes it easier to get to know the people that post here. I hope you all will give it some consideration. Thank you.